Similarity between WiMAX and LTE are:
- They are future wireless broadband communication (4G).
- Both Using OFDM (multicarrier) for downlink.
- Support newest technologies like: MIMO antenna, Beam forming, channel coding, and so on.
- Ongoing research and development.
The Differences between WiMAX and LTE are:
- WiMAX evolution from WiFi (IEEE 802.11), in the other hand LTE evolution from GSM (GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, HSDPA).
- WiMAX uplink using OFDM (multicarrier), but LTE using single carrier, like current technologies (GSM, CDMA).
- WiMAX develop by many country (including GSM vendor) and sometimes each country make his own standard based IEEE 802.16 standard, but LTE is develop by GSM vendor.
- WiMAX international product is standardized by WiMAX Forum (www.wimaxforum.org), LTE …??? (I dunno)
- WiMAX standard is not quite mature, there are a lot of hole and ambiguity, but LTE standard seems quite mature.